If you want your business to rank in Google, it’s important to get listed with Google My Business. This is Google’s local SEO service that ensures that your business is ranked locally. For example, an oil change business in Dayton, Ohio, wants to be ranked for the term “oil change Dayton” and related terms. If you aren’t listed with Google, customers seeking this type of business will see listings for your competitors instead.
When you’re listed with Google, you also have access to other services as well, such as Google Maps, making it simple for customers to get directions to your business. Getting listed with Google to improve your local SEO is free. Let’s look at the steps for setting up your account.
- Go to the main page for Google My Business. Even if you already use other Google services such as Gmail, you still need to set up a separate business account.
- Search for your business using its name and address. There are also options if you’re not a traditional brick and mortar business. For example, if you are a brand, artist or organization you can create a brand page on Google.
- Even if you haven’t already set up your business, it may already be visible. Someone else, such as a customer, may have already verified your business on Google. This makes your job easier. However, you’ll still want to check all of the details and make sure they are accurate and fill in any relevant additional information. Follow the instructions provided by Google for “someone else verified my business.”
- Google will present you with a list of local businesses, one of which may be yours. If you aren’t yet listed, you need to click on “none of these matches” and add your business. You’ll be prompted to check a box that verifies that you are authorized to represent this business. Google will then give you some details to fill out. Make sure all of the information you provide is accurate and up to date. Leaving out anything, such as a phone number, can negatively affect local SEO. Make sure you check the appropriate business category. Add images to make your listing more noticeable.
- When you’re finished, simply click “submit.” You can always return if you need to update anything.
One thing to keep in mind when you’re filling out your business information is that you should spell and format everything exactly the way you do in other listings, such as business directories, other search engines, social media, etc. For example, if the name of your business is Johnson Brothers Auto Repair, be careful about using abbreviations such as Johnson Bros, which can confuse the search engines. Use the same spelling and formatting for all search engine listings as you use on your business website.
If you need help setting up your Google My Business account, contact Moxie, your digital marketing partner, today.